What Is Body Contouring?
Body contouring is not always only one procedure. It can also be a series of procedures that reshape and sculpt your body. Body contouring is also not a weight-loss technique. Instead, body contouring is for patients who are already at their ideal weight but are looking for ways to enhance their appearance.
Benefits of Body Contouring?
Minimally invasive body contouring treatments offer patients a variety of benefits, including:
- Faster recovery: When compared with surgical body contouring procedures, minimally invasive contouring procedures have shorter recovery times.
- Less invasive: Minimally invasive procedures require smaller incisions, if any, so they are less invasive overall. This also reduces the risk of possible complications.
- Skin rejuvenation: Some body contouring procedures offer skin tightening and rejuvenating results. When treatment areas are heated with laser or heat energy, collagen stimulation is increased, which can improve overall skin texture.
Types of Non-Invasive Body Contouring
Non-invasive, or minimally invasive body contouring are cutting-edge procedures that improve your silhouette with little to no downtime. Some of the most popular body contouring procedures include:
- Coolsculpting: Coolsculpting, also known as cryolipolysis, uses controlled cooling to destroy fat cells permanently.
- Cellulite reduction: Cellfina uses advanced techniques that eliminate cellulite by breaking up the fibrinous bands that cause the orange-peel, dimpled appearance.
- Radiofrequency liposuction: This minimally invasive procedure utilizes radiofrequency to liquefy fat while simultaneously tightening the skin.
No, body contouring procedures are not all the same. While the main goal is to achieve a more sculpted appearance, the procedures can be performed on different skin types and parts of the body. For this reason, it is best to consult with a board-certified dermatologist or physician who can discuss which ones would be most beneficial.
The best candidates for body contouring are already at their ideal weight. They live a healthy lifestyle and exercise regularly. Ideal candidates also have realistic expectations about what body contouring can accomplish and what the procedures cannot do.
Recovery after body contouring procedures depends on what type was performed and the number of treatment areas. Most patients have a relatively short recovery period and return to normal activities shortly thereafter. Mild swelling and discomfort may also occur, however, it is usually short-lived and resolves quickly.